- 1 1/4 lb small fresh okra, left untrimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (19-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (2 cups)
- 2/3 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion and garlic with ginger and curry powder, stirring, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and water and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in okra, salt, and pepper and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until okra is tender, about 10 minutes.
Serve over basmati rice or quinoa!