You can pickle most everything! Choose the usual cucumbers or step out of the box and try carrots, zucchini, green beans, or cauliflower! Heck, mix all of them together and make your own giardiniera! You will need roughly a pound of whatever veg you plan on pickling.
For the brine:
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Pack your chopped, diced, or julienned vegetables of choice tightly in a 1-quart glass jar, leaving about 1/2 inch of room at the top. Set aside.
- Make the brine: Toast the mustard seeds and peppercorns in a small saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Bring to a boil.
- Immediately pour the brine into the jar, making sure to cover the vegetables completely. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Seal the jar with a tightfitting lid and shake or rotate it to evenly distribute the brine and spices. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 day and preferably 1 week before using. The pickles can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.