As my friend Brandon Pugh would say - "You need to be canning!" so let's get to it! Here is my favorite Canned Tomato Recipe. Grab a bushel of Delta Sol Farms tomato, and get canning!
- 12 pounds tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons Kosher salt (1 t. per quart)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (1 T. per quart)
- 4 Sterilized quart jars with lids and rims
- To peel tomatoes, place all tomatoes in boiling water. When skins begin to retract remove them from the water and plunge into cold water to stop the cooking and loosen the skins. Peel the tomato skins off and cut out the stem. Press peeled and cored tomato firmly into prepared jar. Fill each jar until there is only 1/2 inch air remaining at the top.
- Once jars are prepared add 1 t. Kosher salt per quart, and 1 T. lemon juice per quart. Place lids and rims on jars and tighten.
- Prepare a large boiling water bath in a stockpot or lobster pot. Make sure water is deep enough that it will completely cover the jars. Once water has come to a boil arrange jars on a wire jar rack and lower into water. Allow quarts to process in the water bath for 45 minutes.
- When processing is complete, remove the rack of jars and place on a heatproof surface. Cover jars with a dishtowel and allow them to sit for a few hours at room temperature to cool.